Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Usual

In honor of those New Year's resolutions to be a better penny pincher and the nights when you need to pay for dinner with change because you ate at Morimoto the night before, I want to share little BARGAIN ALERTS: the SUPER SPECIAL at EVA'S

A good 6 months passed before I ever stepped foot into Eva's. I dismissed it for so long because I assumed any place that hung pictures of their menu items and sold protein shakes and vitamins was disgusting and not a fit for me. That is until one night, my roommate, Liza, came home raving about this amazing deal she discovered at Eva's. Any vegetarian sandwich and cup of soup for $4.95. I peeked into her brown to-go bag and not only was it cheap, but it was healthy, and dare I say it, delicious too!


Pictured: Nature burger in toasted whole-wheat pita with homemade tahini sauce and a cup of homemade lentil soup: $4.95

I was sold - a cheap and healthy meal option - an urban myth. So sold, that I have ordered the "Super Special" at Eva's so many times that when I walk in, the sweet man looks at me and asks "the usual?" Better I have a "usual" and recognizable staff at a health food store than Dunkin' Donuts... Here he is smiling away as he rings up the total bill to $5.39.

I am not sure how this deal works considering a vegetarian sandwich alone costs $4.50 - $7.20, but get it with soup and it can all be yours for $4.95. The falafel with humus sanwich is also available for a mere $1.99 - once when counting change from my pocket to pay for this bargain, the man next to me said "oh I've been there..." so you are not alone!

No sugar free coating here - Eva's is a bizarre half health food resaurant/half vitamin shop where body builders, cops, NYU students and neighbors have been coming since 1978. And try to not to make eye contact with the occasional supplement salesman or you'll leave half an hour later convinced you need the protein pill before you work out.

Eva's Health Food
11 West 8th Street New York, NY 10011
212.982.2500
Mon - Sat: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Sun: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
FREE DELIVERY (Minimum $7.00)

No comments:

Post a Comment